Baiqie chicken ( White Cut Chicken )is the simple one in Cantonese chicken cooking without adding any other flavor except boiled water. It tastes fresh and light, marinating the best original taste of chicken. The method of making it is easy. It is just well cooked but not mushy, retaining the original flavor. Firstly, choose local chicken below one kilogram and clear out. Then cook it in boiling water for fifteen minutes. During the course of it, raise the chicken twice. Cool it in the water subsequently. When the epidermis of the cooked chicken is dry, mix with cooked peanut oil. When you eat it, match ginger and green onion and sprinkle cooked peanut oil. Baiqie chicken’s skin is tasty and refreshing and the chicken meat is not greasy or strongly flavored. Famous Baiqie chicken of Panxi Restaurant was received the Golden Tripod of high quality production by Department of Commerce. In addition, Qingping Chicken is also one kind of Baiqie chicken.
Ingredients for White Cut Chicken :Makes 4-6 servings
* 4-5 pound broiler-fryer chicken
* 1 ounce fresh ginger (thumb-sized piece for poaching)
* 5 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
* 4 cloves garlic
* 4 quarts ice water
* 1 tablespoon sesame oil
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 3 tablespoons ginger, finely shredded
* 3 tablespoons green scallions, finely chopped
Steps to cook White cut Chicken recipe
1. Firstly, remove any excess fat from the chicken. Rub chicken with 2 teaspoons of salt, then rinse under cold water and place onto a rack to drain.
2. In a large stock pot, bring about 3 quarts water, ginger, garlic and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil over high heat. Slowly add the chicken, breast-side up. Add more boiling water if necessary to cover the chicken completely. Return water to a boil and boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes, removing any scum on the surface. Cover pot, turn off heat and let the chicken sit for about 20 minutes.
3. Uncover the pot and return to a boil for 3-4 minutes. Carefully remove from pot and place the chicken in a colander in the sink. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of thigh. Thermometer should read 170°F. (Return to pot and simmer for a few more minutes if internal temperature is under 170°F.) Slowly pour ice water over the chicken in the colander. Transfer chicken to cutting board and rub it with sesame oil. Allow chicken to cool before chopping the chicken with a meat cleaver. Reserve chicken broth for future use.
For the scallion-ginger sauce
Place scallions, ginger and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a small heatproof bowl. In a small skillet or saucepan, heat vegetable oil over high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Carefully, pour the oil over scallion mixture. The oil will make a crackling sound and may splatter when it hits the scallion mixture.
For the With Ginger Soy Dipping Sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons chicken stock or reserved poaching liquid
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions, white parts only
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
Mix all of the ginger-soy dipping sauce ingredients and spoon into individual small dishes.
Serve the chicken warm or room temperature with the dipping sauce. Melt in your mouth flavour is how a friend describes it.