Wonton Noodle, known as Yuntun Mian in Guangzhou, served with crisp noodles, tender wonton fillings and a fragrant soup, are one of the favorite small dishes of Guangzhou. The soup is boiled with shrimps, dried sole, and fine pork bones. Wonton noodle soup is one of the few dishes set very high standards for, almost to the point of obsession. Because of cravings for an ideal bowl of wonton noodle soup (and seeing my relatives).The wonton is made with fresh pork, shelled shrimps and eggs, and cooked in a thin rice dough wrapper. After cooking, the wonton turns semi-transparent, clear and tempting; hence, its nickname of “glassy wonton”.
• 1/2 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
• 1 tablespoon minced celery
• 1 tablespoon minced green onion
• 1 egg white
• 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
• 24 round wonton wrappers
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 pound dry Chinese noodles
• 1 quart chicken stock
• 4 tablespoons minced green onion
1. Place shrimp in a food processor and pulse a few times to coarsely chop. Combine celery, 1 tablespoon green onion, egg white, sesame oil, salt and 1 teaspoon cornstarch with shrimp and pulse a few more times to make a chunky paste. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir briskly until it becomes elastic.
2. Lay the wonton wrappers on a flat surface and place a scant teaspoon of shrimp mixture in the center of each wrapper. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water to form a paste. One at a time, brush some cornstarch paste around the edge of a wonton wrapper and fold the wrapper in half to make a semicircle, pressing edges together to seal. Then, holding the wonton with the curved edge facing away from you, bring the tips of the straight edge together and seal with more cornstarch paste. Repeat with remaining wontons.
3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles in boiling water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and divide between 4 serving bowls.
4. Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth to a simmer over medium-low heat.
5. Bring another large pot of water to a boil and drop the wontons into the boiling water. When the wontons rise to the surface, continue to cook them one minute longer. Remove with a slotted spoon as they finish cooking and divide them among the 4 bowls.
6. Pour hot chicken broth over wontons and noodles in bowls and garnish with the remaining chopped green onions to serve.
Location in Guangzhou
Baohua Noodle Restaurant
Located in Xiguan, near Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street, Baohua Noodle Restaurant has been serving Wonton Noodles for the past 20 years. The bouillon severed with the noodles is regarded as the soul of this delicious dish. Baohua’s bouillon is prepared with dried fish, shrimps and pig bone. It is therefore tasty, yet not strong enough to cover the delicate taste of the Wonton.
Price: About 14RMB / person
Address: No.117, Baohua Road, Liwan District, GZ
Tel: 020-8318 3022
Diyimian Noodle Restaurant
Besides those time-honored and famous Noodle restaurants, there are some Cantonese restaurants coming onto the market and trying to change the way things have been done. Diyimian Noodle Restaurant is one of these courageous places, offering only three kinds of dishes: wonton, noodles and wonton noodle. Their noodles are fresh, smooth and thin. The food is delicious and the dining environment quite relaxing.
Price: 13 RMB / person
1. Address: 1st floor, Zhonghai Mingdu Garden, Jiangwan Rd, Haizhu District, GZ
2. Address: 1st floor, Jinya Yuan Building, Binjiang Dong Rd, Haizhu District, GZ
3. Address: Yijing Huayuan, No.9 Yingfeng Road, Haizhu District, GZ
4. Address: No.158, Zhongshan 4 Road, Yuexiu District, GZ
5. Address: Jiangyan Road, Haizhu District, GZ
Qiaomei Noodle Restaurant
Qiaomei Noodle Restaurant specializes in Wubao (five treasures) Wontons. Wubao’s five treasures refers to crab, shrimp, abalone, dried scallop and a mixture of crab and shrimp.
Price: About 14RMB / person
1. Address:No.401-403, Huifu Dong Road, Yuexiu District, GZ
2. Address:No.170, Donghua Xi Road, Yuexiu District, GZ
3. Address:No.690, Donghua Dong Road, Yuexiu District, GZ
4. Address:No.455-481, Huifu Dong Road, Yuexiu District, GZ
5. Address: No.118, Xicha Road, Baiyun District, GZ
6. Address: No.189, Zhongshan 6 Road, Yuexiu District, GZ
7. Address: No.100, Taojin Road, Yuexiu District, GZ